From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: OpenRC network provides revisited
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:20:34
1 Hi William,
2
3 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> writes:
4
5 > When network interfaces are pre-configured, our network scripts
6 > shouldn't run at all, but they can be forced to run if other services
7 > have "need net" in their dependencies.
8 >
9 > So my question is, should we change our services to "use net" instead of
10 > "need net"?
11
12 I don't think we should make this change. People have different
13 setups. We cannot provide a default configuration that covers all corner
14 cases. Instead, we can show the user how to customize openrc and change
15 the default behavior. e.g. setting rc_provide="net" and
16 rc_depend_strict="NO", works for this case.
17
18 Our focus can be on providing more useful debug message to user, like
19 when net.lo fails to stop openrc outputs who pulled it in and how to
20 disable this behavior.
21
22 Yours,
23 Benda