From: Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:42:48
1 On 29-Mar-07, at 11:20 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Have a look at [1] and all the open "Portage should..." bugs. Would
3 > any of those improve the user experience for you? Can you think of
4 > other features of a similar nature that would make your life easier?
5 > That Portage works does not mean that it is anywhere near ideal...
6
7 Sure it's not ideal and I acknowledge that. But portage is tied very
8 closely to Gentoo for historical reasons, and it is not reasonable to
9 expect an alternate package manager to replace it (not in the near
10 future atleast). How about implementing the features you mention in
11 portage? I know what your response would be though: portage is too
12 much "spaghetti" code to even think about it. But guess what, if you
13 do succeed in making a patch that adds a feature to portage, it'll be
14 accepted faster than you think. Maybe, given the current situation,
15 that is the best way to provide a "better experience" to the users
16 you are so worried about; atleast for those users who don't want to
17 try out package managers unsupported by Gentoo.
18
19 > A few years ago Gentoo had some serious advantages over the
20 > competition. These days, Gentoo is at serious risk of being Red
21 > Queened
22 > by Ubuntu and Fedora. Providing the same thing that was provided two
23 > years ago isn't enough. If Portage can't deliver functionality that
24 > makes Gentoo competitive with where Ubuntu will be a year from now,
25 > Portage has to be replaced.
26
27 You are comparing Gentoo with the wrong distributions. Both Ubuntu
28 and Fedora have people working on it 24x7, and they are being *paid*
29 to do so. Gentoo is a community distribution which is entirely
30 volunteer driven, and you can't expect it to match with the pace of
31 commercial distributions such as the ones you mention. Debian is a
32 distro you could compare with, and you'll have to accept the fact
33 that they develop *for* the developers, much like Gentoo.
34
35 So, really, I don't care if Ubuntu becomes more popular than Gentoo.
36 Isn't it already?!
37
38 Point is, the day when more than 50% of the devs feel we need a new
39 package manager, will be the day a replacement will be made.
40
41 Cheers,
42 --
43 Anant