From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:53:57
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:46:14 +0530
2 Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 29-Mar-07, at 2:26 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:19:45 +0530
5 > > Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> I certainly don't think so. A lot of people *switch* to Gentoo
7 > >> because of portage. Portage is a core part of our distro, and I
8 > >> don't see it being replaced for a long time to come.
9 > >
10 > > Portage or the tree? Portage is just a way of using the tree, and
11 > > it's not a very good one...
12 >
13 > Both portage and the tree. I don't deny the fact that portage isn't
14 > the best way of using the tree but it's a lot better than many of
15 > the package managers (think other distros) out there.
16
17 Better than many other package managers isn't exactly a glowing
18 commendation. When you consider the disadvantages associated with a
19 source-based distribution, Gentoo has to do a lot better than that in
20 order to be worthwhile -- and it only takes one package manager to be
21 better to make Gentoo not worth using. The goal should be "substantially
22 better than any other package manager"...
23
24 > In fact, I've hardly felt as if portage was "limiting" me in any way
25 > for the past 2 years or so. It just works, and that's a good thing
26 > (TM).
27
28 Have a look at [1] and all the open "Portage should..." bugs. Would
29 any of those improve the user experience for you? Can you think of
30 other features of a similar nature that would make your life easier?
31 That Portage works does not mean that it is anywhere near ideal...
32
33 A few years ago Gentoo had some serious advantages over the
34 competition. These days, Gentoo is at serious risk of being Red Queened
35 by Ubuntu and Fedora. Providing the same thing that was provided two
36 years ago isn't enough. If Portage can't deliver functionality that
37 makes Gentoo competitive with where Ubuntu will be a year from now,
38 Portage has to be replaced.
39
40 [1]: http://ciaranm.org/show_post/95
43 Ciaran McCreesh