From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding/disabling MD5 checksums
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 16:28:24
1 On Monday 30 July 2001 01:24, you wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 01:21:56AM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > So do you want me to create a new ebuild 5 days a week? And the end-user
4 > > would have to 'emerge rsync' 5 days a week to emerge the latest version?
5 > >
6 > > Now, we (pm and I) have spoken to the linuxdoc.org guy, and he's agreed
7 > > to make archives with timestamps in their filenames. But, mirrors
8 > > probably won't be keeping more than two or three old versions. So again
9 > > we need to update *something* 5 days/week.
10 > >
11 > > What do you propose?
12 > >
13 > > (Someone should include MD5 checksums as a server-side function in the
14 > > http/ftp protocols. :-)
15 >
16 > What I'd like you to do is build a howto ebuild as normal, for the most
17 > recent version currently available, and update it maybe once a month. If
18 > the linuxdoc.org people don't keep a big archive backlog, you should send
19 > the archive you use to achim so he can add it to ibiblio.org.
20 >
21 ibiblio.org is linuxdoc's main d/l site as well as gentoo's.
22 I can do it two-three times a month, it's no big deal. As long as we decide
23 we don't have to always provide the latest version.
24 If that's what we've decided, OK. I'll d/l the latest tomorrow morning, make
25 a checksum and tell achim to copy it to the gentoo dir at ibiblio.org from
26 the linuxdoc dir - that's probably fastest.
29 Dan Armak
30 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
31 Matan, Israel