From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:21:05
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On the topic of old ebuilds; situations may arise where a particular
3 > maintainer is trying to clean out a version of a package but finds
4 > that $arch doesn't have anything newer stable and thus can't do any
5 > sort of cleanup for fear of breaking $arch.
6 >
7 > You will probably again state that maintainer should just leave the
8 > older versions around. I will state that at least as a maintainer I'm
9 > willing to do so for only a limited period of time. Otherwise it
10 > becomes an annoyance when trying to clean up after packages to have
11 > ebuilds from three or four minor versions ago lying around.
12
13 Now this is the exact situation that I'm wondering about. What's the
14 best thing to do?
15
16 The only thing I can come up with is, if there's an old ebuild that I
17 won't help support / maintain, but it's the latest stable for some arch,
18 then remove all the other arch keywords except that one. At least that
19 way, I won't have to worry about people from arches who *are* up to date
20 bugging me about it.
21
22 I'm not sure that's the best solution though. I can see the reasoning
23 behind "there's a newer stable version anyway, so they shouldn't use the
24 old one", but really ... it can get annoying having some "stable
25 request" bugs open for a very long time. If someone wants to donate me
26 more hardware, I'll get to working on those. :)
27
28 Steve
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list