From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:38:31
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:57:37 -0500 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | I picked a random e-mail to reply to. I don't maintain that many
5 > | packages (maybe 10 or so?). But if I have a bug (particularly a sec
6 > | bug as in this case) and you haven't stablized it after five months
7 > | then I'll probably just nuke the ebuild and drop your keywords
8 >
9 > Which is dumb. There's no harm to be had in just leaving the ebuild
10 > there.
13 I'm just trying to make my life as an ebuild maintainer easier. This
14 means some individuals may file bugs against an old crusty version of a
15 package that I maintain because $arch hasn't keyworded a newer version
16 yet. Then I have to tell the user that they are using a crusty old
17 version and to use a newer one. Double bonus if they are actually using
18 said $arch and need to keyword the newer version themselves.
19
20 I'll admit I've never had to drop keywords on anything thus far; I'm
21 merely stating what I would do in such a situation. Your point prior
22 was that you weren't asking maintainers to maintain anything extra, but
23 to leave the old ebuilds in place for the given $arches. The small
24 issue is that ebuilds in place imply maintainership; even if it's just
25 to tell the user to use a newer version.
26
27 On the topic of old ebuilds; situations may arise where a particular
28 maintainer is trying to clean out a version of a package but finds that
29 $arch doesn't have anything newer stable and thus can't do any sort of
30 cleanup for fear of breaking $arch.
31
32 You will probably again state that maintainer should just leave the
33 older versions around. I will state that at least as a maintainer I'm
34 willing to do so for only a limited period of time. Otherwise it
35 becomes an annoyance when trying to clean up after packages to have
36 ebuilds from three or four minor versions ago lying around.
37
38 So we disagree on this point. Thats ok too I think ;)
39 -Alec Warner
40 antarus@g.o
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list