From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy questions - Adding USE flags and licenses...
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:24:08
1 On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 12:08, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 January 2004 06:02, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
3 > > 1. What's the policy for adding new USE flags to gentoo? I recently
4 > > came across this myself when putting together an updated ebuild for
5 > > squirrelmail which added anti-virus and gpg plugin options. There's no
6 > > 'gpg' USE flag... ssl is "close" but doesn't quite fit... also there is
7 > > 'clamav' for using clamav or 'oav' for using openantivirus.org, but
8 > > neither really fit for this package...
9
10 crypt is usually used for gpg, but it's description actually states
11 that.
12
13 > local use flags it's up to each developer to be good about it ... in your
14 > case, crypt might fit what you want, might not ...
15
16 afaicr local USE flags also should be announced on -dev, although need
17 no discussion.
18
19 One should still be careful about adding USE flags, local USE flags are
20 no reason to get sloppy about it and just add as it pleases.
21
22 In my opinion the USE flag system can use a bit of a redefinition.
23 Categories in the sense of directly related (gtk/qt) and function
24 describing (crypt/printing) flags should be made and maybe seperated in
25 ebuilds. They have different purposes but have a lot of similarities. I
26 think the current amount of USE flags is confusing and the lack of a
27 distinction between the several types of flags isn't helping.
28
29 - foser
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list