From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Firefox bloat Was: chromium ...
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 21:57:31
1 On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 02:36:27AM +0000, Duncan wrote
2
3 > FWIW, the australis thing never really affected me much. I had some
4 > extensions (and configuration mania guified native options) changing
5 > the look somewhat before, and have some extensions (and config mania
6 > options) changing the look somewhat now. It did take me several hours
7 > (between configuring and extension browsing) to get the new UI setup
8 > to something I was comfortable with, but then I'm used to that any
9 > time I change desktop (kde) major versions as well, and this was a
10 > comparable change.
11
12 I had always customized Firefox's GUI to my own liking. When I first
13 saw the Atrocious^H^H^H^H^H Austraulis gui, I said "No problem", I'll
14 reconfigure it, like I've always done before". What really shocked me
15 was not only the garbage gui, but the fact that you couldn't get a sane
16 "classic" gui withing Firefox. The Firefox people obviously knew that
17 users' first reaction would be to get rid of Australis, so they removed
18 that ability.
19
20 Extensions soon sprang up that sort of allowed you to go back to a
21 sane desktop. But I didn't want to go that far. Australis was the
22 breaking point. Attached is a sample of what the top of my Pale Moon
23 gui looks like, which is how I used to do Firefax way-back-when.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
27 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

pm.png image/png