From: alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us
To: James McMechan <james_mcmechan@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patching vanilla-sources with genpatches in catalyst
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 04:56:34
1 On 2016-09-23 16:02, James McMechan wrote:
2 > What patches were you thinking are needed for a live CD?
3 > I would expect that either a vanilla or gentoo kernel would handle
4 > being on a live CD without problems.
5 > What is giving you trouble that you are aiming for 4.8-rc6, I have not
6 > seen many problems. Though the most recent gentoo live CD will hang
7 > one of my machines due to radeon driver in the 3.14.14 kernel not
8 > accessing
9 > I/O correctly ( it did not use the access functions just dereferenced
10 > a pointer).
11 > The only other quirk I remember off the top of my head is the 2nd
12 > required
13 > initramfs that the netboot kernel target needs, but even that works
14 > with a empty file.
15
16 On sparc64, rsync and ssh are broken due to fault addresses containing
17 extra context data that is used incorrectly higher in the kernel. For
18 installation purposes, rsync and ssh are quite important. This is fixed
19 in 4.8, but i ended up just taking that patches out of 4.8 and applying
20 them to 4.7.4 via epatch user.