From: James McMechan <james_mcmechan@×××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us" <alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patching vanilla-sources with genpatches in catalyst
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 20:02:29
1 >From: alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us <alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us>
2 >Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 3:48 PM
3 >To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
4 >Subject: [gentoo-dev] Patching vanilla-sources with genpatches in catalyst
5
6 >For my sparc64 port, i need a livecd with kernel 4.8-rc6 that is patched
7 >to work on a livecd. I'm not going to expect gentoo-sources to be
8
9 What patches were you thinking are needed for a live CD?
10 I would expect that either a vanilla or gentoo kernel would handle
11 being on a live CD without problems.
12 What is giving you trouble that you are aiming for 4.8-rc6, I have not
13 seen many problems. Though the most recent gentoo live CD will hang
14 one of my machines due to radeon driver in the 3.14.14 kernel not accessing
15 I/O correctly ( it did not use the access functions just dereferenced a pointer).
16 The only other quirk I remember off the top of my head is the 2nd required
17 initramfs that the netboot kernel target needs, but even that works with a empty file.
18
19 >released for this kernel, and hacking up the kernel eclass for 4.8-rc6
20 >doesn't seem like the right way to go. So i was looking for some input
21 >on the best way to do this.
22 >
23 >The first thing that comes to mind is to make a vanilla-sources ebuild
24 >for 4.8-rc6 and use that in the spec file. Then after doing a
25
26 Are you following some set of instructions on building stages and a live CD?
27
28 >livecd-stage1 put the genpatches in /etc/portage/patches/... and let the
29 >epatch_user interface take care of the rest.
30 >
31 >Does anyone have any better ideas?
34 Jim McMechan