From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:05:26
1 On Monday, October 17, 2016 3:52:52 PM EDT Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 >
3 > Off the top of my head I'm only aware of libreoffice-bin myself (and
4 > then it is a clear alternative to libreoffice if wanting the source),
5 > providing this as a binary is a convenience to end-users not wanting to
6 > spend 50 minutes on the compile.
7
8 That seems to be the main use of -bin, and the reason for like icedtea-bin,
9 and other firefox-bin, etc. I would not suggest get rid of those, though could
10 be in a different place if it bothers others.
11
12 I have always used oo-bin, but did compile libreoffice. Never compiled oo it was
13 way to big. At a point have used firefox-bin, and icedtea-bin, when not
14 wanting to merge those from source. Just being lazy and not wanting some of
15 the dependencies.
16
17 > I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to provide this as a binary
18 > package in a binhost instead of a -bin though (thats what I use
19 > internally myself in any case).
20
21 I am not pushing for such, but BSD does have a binary ports tree I believe
22 available separate from the from source. I make my own binaries for other
23 systems, to speed up updates. But I do not really use a binhost.
24
25 Long ago there was some company that was doing a repo of precompiled Gentoo
26 binaries. But it went away a very long time ago. I haven't seen anything
27 attempt it since. Not sure the demand, but things like Arch do exist now.
28
29 As for packages in tree as bin that can be from source, I have already pointed
30 one out, dev-util/jenkins-bin. There are others.
31
32 Even if we have a list, what next? There are reasons why they are not packaged
33 from source, and that will not change. Good to be aware, but without any sort
34 of plan or means to address. Not sure it will matter.
37 William L. Thomson Jr.