From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script optimizations?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:39:18
1 On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 11:02 -0700, Mark Dierolf wrote:
2 > I'm talking about setting a default that's less than 60 seconds. I know i can
3 > change it, but IMO 60 seconds is an annoying wait when you're stuck booting a
4 > machine some other admin just bootstrapped.
5
6 Another admin, eh? Then you should only have to deal with this problem
7 exactly once, right? After all, you're going to fix it as soon as you
8 get on the machine anyway. Have you considered cluing the other admin
9 in so he will be more thoughtful next time?
12 > I think the people who NEED to wait 60 seconds should increase it. Or better
13 > yet, they should fix their network.
14
15 Complain to the authors.
16
17 They're the ones that set the default at 60 seconds.
18
19 We have given you the ability to change it yourself. Just because you
20 do not does not necessarily mean a fault on our part. This is
21 especially true with the newer baselayout/network init scripts that are
22 being worked on.
23
24 > You should get a DHCP response in < 10 seconds, it's as simple as that. If you
25 > don't, something is screwed up.
26
27 Really? Do you use wireless? Ever been on a busy Windows network?
28 There are plenty of reasons why the timeout exists at 60 seconds.
29
30 > The vast majority of people would be ok with a 10 second dhcp timeout, and
31 > those who aren't can increase it.
32
33 Once they learn how to do so.
34
35 Here is my take on it. It is one thing to have a *slight* (yes, 60
36 seconds is slight) delay the first time a machine boots off-network than
37 to try to teach someone that the reason why they didn't get a DHCP
38 response was because we lowered the timeout from what the original
39 author set the default at to pacify a few vocal users. Want to guess
40 how long it would take most users to even get to this point in their
41 troubleshooting? Would *you* like to field all the inevitable
42 questions/bug reports? Remember that a minor inconvenience for you is
43 much better than a non-functional system for someone else.
44