From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About lafilefixer removal
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 21:18:56
1 On 05/06/13 00:09, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > It lacks a maintainer for a long time, also has some opened bugs and I
3 > am unsure if it's still needed. I am not using it for months and never
4 > saw any problem, also, portage fixes .la files by itself, and paludis
5 > people don't approve lafilefixer.
6 >
7 > Do we still need it?
8
9 +1 for dropping it as...
10
11 - gentoo-x86/ has been massively cleaned up with punting of .la files
12 - -Wl,--as-needed is enabled by default for ages
13 - portage's own .la file fixing
14 - emptying of some dependency_libs='' in tree
15 - the 'coming' GNU gold linker being even more stricter than -Wl,--as-needed
16 - majority of `lafilefixer` users propably emerged it by accident,
17 thinking it's some magic bullet for their .la file problem, which it's not