From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:37:58
1 On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:30:57 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 03/08/2012 01:42 AM, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
4 > > * Ulrich Mueller schrieb am 08.03.12 um 08:27 Uhr:
5 > >> Such constructs also cannot be used with any of the other proposed
6 > >> solutions. And in fact, nobody is using such things in practice.
7 > >> _All_ ebuilds in the Portage tree can be successfully parsed with
8 > >> the regexp proposed.
9 > >
10 > > Ebuilds are bash scripts. I think introducing exceptions or
11 > > constraints here is not straightforward.
12 >
13 > Given that ebuilds already have to conform to a vast number of
14 > constraints that ordinary bash scripts do not. I think that it's
15 > perfectly reasonable for ebuilds to have a constrained syntax for
16 > EAPI assignments.
17
18 ...and only EAPI assignments? Not for any other metadata variable?
19
20 Doesn't that sort of suggest that EAPI shouldn't be a metadata variable?
23 Ciaran McCreesh