From: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
To: ioda01@×××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] alt install
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:05:18
1 > i am a little confused
2 who is not ;p
3
4 > i wanna install of a linux partition (rh)i have
5 > an extra partition that is empty ....
6 good
7
8 > how do i install
9 I'll give you a sugestion in a minute
10
11 > do i have to boot
12 > off toms floppy and do the partition and format and then use wget and
13 > obtain stage1
14 not neccesarily
15
16 > or i could just download the tar on that partition and use fdisk and
17 > make the partition from my redhat box and take it from there
18 most likely - use your free space and this will work out nice
19 if you are short of hd-space it might find handy either to boot with the
20 boot-disk and start from scratch. It might also be possible to download
21 stage1 and build a basesystem, make a kernel, reboot and copy from this
22 partition and to another with more space if you wish that.
23
24 After all; what that is the most effective solution will depend on how
25 much hd-space you've got, how your partitioning is today and how you'd
26 like it to become. There are tools to do resizing of filesystems and
27 partitions, but I have no experience with those, and my intution tells me
28 that those in many cases will destroy the data on at least the partition
29 and filesystem you are treating.
30
31 > thanx and i apologize for the inconvenince :)
32 np
33
34 Good luck!
35