From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:19:43
1 On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 16:33, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
2 > It also removes interpreter upgrade problems. For instance, python 2.3 is already in
3 > most other distros as a stable package. Bindings for other languages
4
5 Interesting point here. It is actually a coincidence that I've unmasked
6 Python-2.3.2 a couple of minutes before reading this email.
7 Firstly, not trying to sound whiny, but I only know that python-2.3 is
8 in Mandrake 9.2, suse 9.0, redhat rawhide and debian unstable. But
9 anyway, binary distros are much easier to deal with in this respect ;)
10
11 But to be honest, the delay in getting python out is more a source-based
12 distro issue rather than portage. And also because of the lack of time
13 on my part for the last couple of weeks.
14
15 Secondly, it is interesting you brought up the issue of recovery and not
16 depending on an interpreter. I just had a bug submitted for something
17 called the "python installer". For those familiar with python on
18 windows, it is similar to py2exe which basically encapsulates the
19 interpreter, scripts and everything in one package so users do not have
20 to worry about dependencies.
21
22 http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/standalones.html
23
24 I've never tried it to vouch for its workability, but if it works as
25 advertised then I can see that as a nice replacement for stage1 portage
26 or some sort of portage rescue tool.
27
28 Cheers,
29 --