From: paul <paul@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:55:26
1 Steve Long schrieb:
2 >> In any event, what I'd like to raise is the issue of having a
3 >> (semi-)official version of gentoo that lags behind the cutting-edge distro
4 >> for stability. Is this feasible?
5 >>
6 >> Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere.
7 >>
8 > I appreciate that there is GLEP 19 according to earlier discussion on this
9 > list (from 2004).
10 The GLEP has been withdrawn by the author.
13 > I guess I'm asking whether it's a) more feasible now (I'm guessing yes) and
14 > b) whether it's something that would have any support from current devs.
15 > Not in terms of workload, but culturally.
16 You can't take workload out of the picture since it's the main issue
17 here. Stable tree means backport fixes and I don't see this happening as
18 it can't be automated:
19 -there is no agreed machine parsable format/central location for CVEs/bugs.
20 -you can't rely on upstream issuing security patches not tied to new
21 releases (with new bugs/features).
22
23 So who is going to watch all that mailing lists, pulling code from
24 upstream, patching, testing, etc.?
25
26 Don't get me wrong. I'd really love to have a more "stable" base system
27 at least for core packages and those prone to break remote reboots ;)
28
29 cheers
30 Paul
31 --