From: Preston Cody <codeman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:20:26
1 > I can understand chris's position. but it would be nice if he would
2 > consider the development of a script for the "livecd" that could
3 > extract the stage4 on it and include documentation in the handbook on
4 > how to do it.
5
6 being done for next release. i'm assuming you meant stage3 here.
7
8 > because as is the installers don't allow for enough flexibility.
9
10 on the contrary, most of our problems in the installer come from
11 offering too much flexibility.
12
13 I personally would like to know who decided to put bottom
14 > and I think top partition size limits in the installer. the limits
15 > should have been dictated by the filesystem limits themselves.
16
17 partition limits are decided by the size of the drive and the other
18 partitions on it.
19
20 > another option might be a "skip section" of the
21 > installer." that way we can on do the stage4 part, and forget the rest
22 > if we want. would any of this be such a hard and impossible thing for
23 > releng to do and support?
24
25 this support already exists. the installer has modes for stage4 and
26 chroot installations.
27
28 -Codeman
29 --