From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 13:55:14
1 On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Steven J Long
2 <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > The thing I don't understand is why it is necessary to move stuff from /bin
4 > to /usr/bin. After all, if you're running the "approved" setup you don't
5 > have a separate /usr so all the binaries are available from the get-go.
6
7 Where is this approved setup documented? Consider guides like this one:
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
9
10 While you're fixing that you might want to write up an "easy migration
11 guide" for anybody who followed our official docs in "the past" (with
12 "the past" including up to the moment that the raid+lvm guide is
13 updated)...
14
15 > Sure, if you have binaries in /bin that link to libraries in /usr/lib that
16 > could be an issue, but only if you're running with a separate /usr and don't
17 > have it mounted when udev starts. So again, not the "approved" setup, and
18 > something you as an admin already have to deal with by making sure /usr is
19 > mounted when udev starts (either via an initramfs, or by a tweak to udev
20 > startup scripts[1].)
21
22 Well, it is hard to think of a meaningful raid+lvm configuration that
23 doesn't require an initramfs of some sort with the dependence on files
24 in /usr during boot. So, getting our initramfs options improved and
25 supporting this configuration just makes sense regardless before we
26 unmask newer versions of udev.
27
28 Raid+lvm isn't exactly an unusual use-case. Many distros actually use
29 at least lvm by default now.
30
31 Rich