From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 13:43:16
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 08:53:26 +0000
4 > Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 07:59:47PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
7 >> > The goal is to deprecate /bin, /lib, /sbin and /usr/sbin. My
8 >> > understanding is that they want to move software that is installed
9 >> > in /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin to /usr/bin. Also, they want to move
10 >> > everything from /lib to /usr/lib.
11 >>
12 >> I don't like this one bit. Things used to be simple with the "split"
13 >> between /bin and /usr/bin (and its related directories), this isn't
14 >> going to make it more simple.
15 >
16 > Simple? Should I start requesting additional packages moved into rootfs
17 > because I feel like needing them? Things can and will go more ugly,
18 > and I wouldn't be surprised if anytime soon people will start
19 > complaining because they ran out of space on their rootfs.
20 >
21 Well, it is conceptually quite simple: if it's needed in single-user mode to
22 get your system up and running again, it belongs in rootfs, and if it isn't,
23 then leave it in user-land.
24
25 The thing I don't understand is why it is necessary to move stuff from /bin
26 to /usr/bin. After all, if you're running the "approved" setup you don't
27 have a separate /usr so all the binaries are available from the get-go.
28
29 What does moving them enable that can't be done now?
32 Sure, if you have binaries in /bin that link to libraries in /usr/lib that
33 could be an issue, but only if you're running with a separate /usr and don't
34 have it mounted when udev starts. So again, not the "approved" setup, and
35 something you as an admin already have to deal with by making sure /usr is
36 mounted when udev starts (either via an initramfs, or by a tweak to udev
37 startup scripts[1].)
38
39 wrt GNU coreutils installing to /usr by default, that's so of every GNU
40 package, since they default to a prefix of /usr/local and it's up to a
41 distro (or the end-user) to configure them differently; in general the
42 package assumes it's an addition to the system, unless told otherwise.
43
44 (Additionally I'd say that binaries installed to /bin that require libraries
45 installed to /usr is a bug, but something that should be dealt with
46 separately. Though with the direction people seem to think is needed, I'm
47 not sure how much effort anyone will put into that.)
48
49 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6866484.html
50 --
51 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)