From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Retiring
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 13:06:37
1 Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o> posted
2 20090504114734.3032916d@××××××××××××××.us, excerpted below, on Mon, 04
3 May 2009 11:47:34 +0000:
4
5 > For what it's worth (probably not much) I think Foundation is
6 > functioning now. At least, we are legal again, have bylaws, and a real
7 > bank account.
8
9 I should have stated so directly, but FWIW I agree. I'm on the NFP list
10 as I have been since 2004 (when I started with Gentoo), so I know the
11 general status.
12
13 I did say I thought that was the low point and that Gentoo had turned the
14 corner since then, but given that I DID list it as a low point, it would
15 have been only proper to specifically mention that I think it has come
16 back from the brink (which it was over, but you guys pulled it back! =:^)
17 too.
18
19 So thanks for pointing that out, and thanks too, to you and the other
20 foundation folks, for all the time and effort you've put into pulling it
21 back from over the brink, as you have. That's no small thing, even if by
22 original design the foundation is separated enough from the day-to-day
23 and technical Gentoo side that it seldom comes up here or in most other
24 Gentoo discussions, and few enough even know about it, let alone stop to
25 say thanks once in awhile. It's certainly not every dev (or user, as I
26 am) that either has the skills for that sort of thing, or even cares
27 about it, so the least we can do is give you a round of thanks for taking
28 on what most of us would prefer not even to have to think about at all.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman