From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Retiring
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 11:47:55
1 On Sun, 3 May 2009 18:51:59 -0400
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Peter Faraday Weller <welp@g.o> posted
5 > 1241385973.4028.67.camel@×××××××××.localdomain, excerpted below, on Sun,
6 > 03 May 2009 22:26:13 +0100:
7 >
8 > > On a more serious note, the problem seems to be the complete lack of
9 > > management in the required places, Gentoo is fast becoming (or more
10 > > likely, already is) an anarchic organisation, where it's becoming
11 > > nigh-on impossible to keep track of things.
12 > >
13 > > I see a number of issues with Gentoo these days. The lack of a proper
14 > > leadership body. Lack of people working together in unison. The tree
15 > > needs to be sorted out: we have >16000 packages, and 200-250 developers,
16 > > not all of which are ebuild developers) - We're still using CVS, we do
17 > > *not* have the manpower to keep all the packages updated properly using
18 > > a centralised VCS. If these issues were fixed, I don't know/care how
19 > > they do get fixed, but if they were, I might consider coming back.
20 >
21 > FWIW, from my perspective, Gentoo has turned the corner, we've hit the
22 > low point (which I'd put at when the foundation dissolved due to malaise)
23 > and things are beginning to improve now. Certainly there's a lot of work
24 > remaining to be done and nobody's perfect, but I really do see positive
25 > changes this last year or so.
28 For what it's worth (probably not much) I think Foundation is
29 functioning now. At least, we are legal again, have bylaws, and a real
30 bank account.
31
32 > The council is actually somewhat functional now again, no more multi-hour
33 > meetings that get little if anything accomplished. Gentoo worked thru
34 > the foundation and council crises. I don't do IRC so can't evaluate it,
35 > but certainly, the lists have gotten rather more professional the last
36 > while -- no more severe personal attacks, and when it starts heading that
37 > way, often both sides get warnings to "stop it" and people do (tho this
38 > of course doesn't mean there's not disagreements, only that they're kept
39 > to something approaching a reasonable professional level).
40 >
41 > Yes, Gentoo is still using CVS, but there are moves toward something
42 > else, with GIT seemingly the lead candidate. While I don't see it
43 > getting to that point in the remaining bit of the current council term, I
44 > hope that it's a major item on the agenda for the next council to deal
45 > with. The overlay structure seems to be quite active and is continuing
46 > toward better overall integration, with issues like overlay and eclass
47 > priority and sharing being worked out.
48 >
49 > Now Gentoo does seem to be at that "magic" 250-ish person mid-size
50 > organizational cap, has been there for some time, and hasn't seemed to
51 > get past it. OTOH, few organizations do tend to get past that, Debian
52 > being the commonly mentioned FLOSS community exception, so Gentoo isn't
53 > alone in that regard. In fact, there's many organizations that would
54 > LOVE to be dealing with that problem as long as Gentoo has been. Maybe
55 > we'll ultimately get past it, maybe we won't and we'll just have to learn
56 > to manage at the 250-ish size we are.
57 >
58 > Perhaps the biggest mark of improvement for me personally has been that
59 > (as I recently hinted in a post to the docs list) I'm actually thinking
60 > about becoming a dev again. For some months, I had lost the motivation
61 > and reasons I might wish to do so, but now it's back. I'm certainly
62 > grateful for the folks that stuck around thru the bottom, and yes, that
63 > IS a marked improvement I'm glad to see. =:^)
64 >
65 > So anyway, we seem to disagree on what's happening with Gentoo, but I
66 > really do see improvement, and think it's a shame to have people leaving
67 > for the lack of it, just as things from my perspective seem to be turning
68 > around. But, regardless of whether you choose to stay or go, and that's
69 > of course a decision you must make (recognizing that people do sometimes
70 > need a time away, ideally to return refreshed and revitalized, ready to
71 > take on new challenges), you did say you may be back if you see that some
72 > of these issues have been addressed. Based on that, if indeed the
73 > changes I am beginning to see continue, plan on that return, 'cause those
74 > changes are coming. =:^)
75 >
76 > --
77 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
78 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
79 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
83 Regards,
84 Probably should not have responded,
85 Ferris
86 --
87 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
88 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)