From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Retiring
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:15:19
1 Peter Faraday Weller <welp@g.o> posted
2 1241385973.4028.67.camel@×××××××××.localdomain, excerpted below, on Sun,
3 03 May 2009 22:26:13 +0100:
4
5 > On a more serious note, the problem seems to be the complete lack of
6 > management in the required places, Gentoo is fast becoming (or more
7 > likely, already is) an anarchic organisation, where it's becoming
8 > nigh-on impossible to keep track of things.
9 >
10 > I see a number of issues with Gentoo these days. The lack of a proper
11 > leadership body. Lack of people working together in unison. The tree
12 > needs to be sorted out: we have >16000 packages, and 200-250 developers,
13 > not all of which are ebuild developers) - We're still using CVS, we do
14 > *not* have the manpower to keep all the packages updated properly using
15 > a centralised VCS. If these issues were fixed, I don't know/care how
16 > they do get fixed, but if they were, I might consider coming back.
17
18 FWIW, from my perspective, Gentoo has turned the corner, we've hit the
19 low point (which I'd put at when the foundation dissolved due to malaise)
20 and things are beginning to improve now. Certainly there's a lot of work
21 remaining to be done and nobody's perfect, but I really do see positive
22 changes this last year or so.
23
24 The council is actually somewhat functional now again, no more multi-hour
25 meetings that get little if anything accomplished. Gentoo worked thru
26 the foundation and council crises. I don't do IRC so can't evaluate it,
27 but certainly, the lists have gotten rather more professional the last
28 while -- no more severe personal attacks, and when it starts heading that
29 way, often both sides get warnings to "stop it" and people do (tho this
30 of course doesn't mean there's not disagreements, only that they're kept
31 to something approaching a reasonable professional level).
32
33 Yes, Gentoo is still using CVS, but there are moves toward something
34 else, with GIT seemingly the lead candidate. While I don't see it
35 getting to that point in the remaining bit of the current council term, I
36 hope that it's a major item on the agenda for the next council to deal
37 with. The overlay structure seems to be quite active and is continuing
38 toward better overall integration, with issues like overlay and eclass
39 priority and sharing being worked out.
40
41 Now Gentoo does seem to be at that "magic" 250-ish person mid-size
42 organizational cap, has been there for some time, and hasn't seemed to
43 get past it. OTOH, few organizations do tend to get past that, Debian
44 being the commonly mentioned FLOSS community exception, so Gentoo isn't
45 alone in that regard. In fact, there's many organizations that would
46 LOVE to be dealing with that problem as long as Gentoo has been. Maybe
47 we'll ultimately get past it, maybe we won't and we'll just have to learn
48 to manage at the 250-ish size we are.
49
50 Perhaps the biggest mark of improvement for me personally has been that
51 (as I recently hinted in a post to the docs list) I'm actually thinking
52 about becoming a dev again. For some months, I had lost the motivation
53 and reasons I might wish to do so, but now it's back. I'm certainly
54 grateful for the folks that stuck around thru the bottom, and yes, that
55 IS a marked improvement I'm glad to see. =:^)
56
57 So anyway, we seem to disagree on what's happening with Gentoo, but I
58 really do see improvement, and think it's a shame to have people leaving
59 for the lack of it, just as things from my perspective seem to be turning
60 around. But, regardless of whether you choose to stay or go, and that's
61 of course a decision you must make (recognizing that people do sometimes
62 need a time away, ideally to return refreshed and revitalized, ready to
63 take on new challenges), you did say you may be back if you see that some
64 of these issues have been addressed. Based on that, if indeed the
65 changes I am beginning to see continue, plan on that return, 'cause those
66 changes are coming. =:^)
71 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman