From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] common ebuild mistakes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:43:07
1 On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 09:15:07PM +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 01:52:32PM +0200, Henti Smith wrote:
3 > > I agree .... if this was that case I would still be using slackware or
4 > > something since I can "update" the packaes I have installed when "needed" I
5 > > use gentoo so I can get the latest mplayer a few days after it comes out etc
6 > > etc
7 > >
8 > > otherwise whats the point of having gentoo and portage .. ?
9 >
10 > That's one thing I hear lots of people pointing as a downside of gentoo. In an
11 > attempt to have the newest packages it happens that even the stable ones are
12 > not stable enough.
13 >
14 > I thought the idea of portage is the ability to compile the packages any way
15 > you want, not necessarily to have the newest one a few days after it's out.
16 >
17 > Otherwize, even RedHat had pretty fresh packages in its Rawhide for the
18 > adventurous. And not that late after the official release at all.
21 We want our ~arch keyworded ebuilds to be as up to date as possible.
24 Jon Portnoy
25 avenj/irc.freenode.net
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list