From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: uberlord@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] client+server packages - build which one?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:49:23
1 On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:10:51 +0100
2 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Some packages provide both a client and a server. As such, users
5 > usually only want one or the other - and rarely both.
6 >
7 > A good candidate is net-misc/dhcp as it installs a DHCP client and
8 > server. Which makes no sense really, so I'd like to put some USE
9 > flags here to show what I want, or not want to build.
10 >
11 > A quick scan through the use flags show no real consistency, so
12 > here's what I propose
13 >
14 > USE client server
15 > client - just build the client - duh
16 > server - just build the server - duh
17 > client and server OR neither then build both.
18
19 Doing this by USE flag would cause problems I think; if other stuff
20 depends on the server or the client, you get USE-flag problems
21 with portage dependencies met but the actual dependency not met. We
22 have some of this sort of thing already - which manifests with ebuilds
23 aborting in pkg_setup if they detect that a dependency wasn't emerged
24 with the necessary USE flags.
25
26 A better approach in this case, IMO, is to split it into two ebuilds -
27 well, three if you keep the existing package as a meta-package
28 depending on both client and server. So you would have:
29
30 net-misc/dhcp-client
31
32 net-misc/dhcp-server
33
34 net-misc/dhcp - empty but for RDEPEND on the above.
37 A similar thing already happens with net-dns/bind and
38 net-dns/bind-tools, which are both built from the same upstream tarball
39 but one installs the server, the other installs just the client
40 programs.
44 > Other packages to possably beneift
45 > udhcp
46 > mldonkey
47 > samhain
48 > bacula
49 > boxbackup
50 >
51 > Interestingly, many packages have a server USE flag but not a client
52 > one - maybe make both a global USE flag?
53 >
54 > Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?
55 >
56 > Thanks