From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item about mysql client and server packages
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 21:38:57
1 On 17/07/2015 22:17, Brian Evans wrote:
2 > Here is a second Draft based on comments
5 > Title: MySQL client libraries and server packaging changes
6 > Author: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
7 > Content-Type: text/plain
8 > Posted: 2015-07-17
9 > Revision: 1
10 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
11 > Display-If-Installed: virtual/mysql
12 >
13 > First off, a new virtual is being introduced, virtual/libmysqlclient.
14 > virtual/mysql will represent the server (mysqld) and tools (mysqldump,
15 > mysql, mysqladmin, etc) while virtual/libmysqlclient will represent
16 > the mysql client shared and static libraries, libmysqlclient.so for
17 > example.
18
19 This reads oddly. There's a "first" but I'm left wondering what the
20 "second" is, and I have to re-read "mysql client shared and static"
21 several times to figure out what is probably the noun and the adjective.
22 If I were writing the news, I'd probably do this:
23
24 Ebuild packaging for the various mysql packages is changing; including
25 the addition of a new virtual virtual/libmysqlclient.
26
27 The existing virtual/mysql will represent the server (mysqld) and tools
28 (mysqldump, mysql, mysqladmin, etc), while virtual/libmysqlclient will
29 represent the shared and static libraries for mysql clients, e.g.
30 libmysqlclient.so
31
32 > Ebuilds that only link the libraries may not pull in the server
33 > packages with this change in the future. Because of this, you may have
34 > to add a virtual/mysql or one of the providers; i.e. dev-db/mysql,
35 > dev-db/mariadb, or dev-db/percona-server; to your world file if you
36 > require a server to be installed locally. This will be phased in
37 > slowly as other packages are updated.
38 >
39 > As for the server packages themselves, the minimal USE is being
40 > replaced. The new USE flags are client-libs, server, and tools.
41 > The server and tools flags are on by default to signify the primary
42 > purpose of those builds.
43
44 It's not obvious that "minimal" is a USE flag, I first thought you meant
45 USE is short :-). I suggest:
46
47 The USE flag "minimal"....
50 > The primary provider for libraries will be a new package
51 > dev-db/mysql-connector-c. Thorough testing did not turn up any
52 > issues, but packagers are permitted to block any provider of
53 > virtual/libmysqlclient that does not work correctly. Enabling the
54 > client-libs USE on a server package may be the necessary solution for
55 > the rare case of a block on an incompatible provider.
56
57 Finally, I'd flesh this out a little more so that users know what *they*
58 need to with this change. You've done a good job of explaining what you
59 have done.
60
61 It's not completely clear what the user must do to retain their existing
62 mysql clients, and many of them will think mysql-connector-c provides
63 it. I'd suggest a wording myself, but I'm still not 100% clear how it
64 will really work.
67 Alan McKinnon
68 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com