From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] News item about mysql client and server packages
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 01:41:09
1 Alan McKinnon posted on Fri, 17 Jul 2015 23:38:44 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 >> First off, a new virtual is being introduced, virtual/libmysqlclient.
4 >> virtual/mysql will represent the server (mysqld) and tools (mysqldump,
5 >> mysql, mysqladmin, etc) while virtual/libmysqlclient will represent the
6 >> mysql client shared and static libraries, libmysqlclient.so for
7 >> example.
8 >
9 > This reads oddly. There's a "first" but I'm left wondering what the
10 > "second" is,
11
12 Was just going to point this out myself.
13
14 1) "First off,", specifically the "off" sounds informal (I checked myself
15 on wiktionary, which lists "first off" as "idiomatic). It's fine, indeed
16 great, for informal conversations, but news items are more formal
17 announcements and should be worded as such.
18
19 So strike the "off". That leaves simply "First,".
20
21 2) As Alan mentions, "first" is sequential. Don't use "first" unless
22 your intent is to enumerate a sequential list. That implies you need at
23 least a "second" or "last/finally", if not more than two sequential/
24 numbered points.
25
26 That isn't to say you must strike "first" here, if you add further
27 sequence keywords, because such sequential numbering indicates moving on
28 to the next main point, separate from paragraph structure, with such
29 points commonly being found both within a single paragraph if small
30 enough, or with multiple paragraphs per point, as I'm doing here. In
31 fact, such transitional keywords tend to be extremely helpful to the
32 reader, since they do identify the author's intended key points, thus
33 being very helpful when overview- or fast-scanning.
36 (As you see here, I used digit numbering demarced by closing parenthesis,
37 as opposed to the words. That's simply personal preference, tho I
38 believe a convincing argument can be made that it's easier to pick out.
39 Some may argue using the words is more formal, however, and could thus
40 make the same point I made about "first off" above, for the digit
41 choice. YMMV in that regard, but I personally still prefer the digits.
42 Then of course there's the question of whether a ")" or "." demarc is
43 better. As a reader I've absolutely no preference there, but I believe I
44 favor the ")" in my own writing.)
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman