From: expose@×××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 09:16:28
1 Hans de Graaff wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I realize that we are in the middle of a huge discussion on GLEP 42 news
5 > items, but I think I have a need for such a news item at the moment, and
6 > getting more items to discuss may help move the discussion forward. I'm
7 > appending the news item below.
8 >
9 > That said, unfortunately GLEP 42 is not going to be useful for the
10 > intended purpose... The reason for this is that it does not take into
11 > account if the specific user can actually upgrade because it does not
12 > take stable/testing into account. So a user on stable will see the
13 > message once the new package hits the tree but can't upgrade yet, and
14 > will probably have forgotten if the package moves to stable after one or
15 > several months.
16 >
17 > What I would like to happen is that the message is added to the tree
18 > once, shown to users who have dev-ruby/radiant in testing immediately,
19 > and only shown to other users of dev-ruby/radiant when they move radiant
20 > to testing or radiant itself becomes stable for them. I don't see a
21 > mechanism to avoid this with the current GLEP, but perhaps I overlooked
22 > something? I guess this is what the Display-If-Upgrading-From-To: that
23 > Ciaran mentioned would do, but I'm wondering if GLEP 42 makes any sense
24 > without it.
25 ++
26
27 Considering the news item below, it does clearly show the difference to the
28 paludis item, as it is indeed critical: There seems to be no foolproof method
29 to fix this in a matter of seconds.
30 It fits into the group of new items which you dont even need to read, to know
31 that you will likely need more than a few minutes to work through this and
32 get things back working, just because it is a news item and nothing else.
33 I'd like those items to be the standard, not those which dont even break
34 anything in the first place, and even further can be fixed in a matter of
35 seconds using a foolproof method.
36 Additionally, the wording of the GLEP as far as I know it seems to support
37 this, personal preference to or fro.
38 Corrections welcome.
39 > Title: Radiant upgrade from 0.5.2 to 0.6.*
40 > Author: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
41 > Content-Type: text/plain
42 > Posted: 06-May-2007
43 > Revision: 1
44 > Display-If-Installed: =dev-ruby/radiant-0.5.2
45 >
46 > Radiant 0.6.* is in many cases not a seamless update from 0.5.2, and
47 > if you are currently running your site based on the gem then the
48 > upgrade will break your site. Apart from a number of minor
49 > configuration changes, the plugin system has been removed and changed
50 > to a new extension system with slightly different semantics.
51 >
52 > If you have any plugins installed in your Radiant installation you
53 > will need to find replacement extensions first or rewrite the plugins
54 > to use the extension system.
55 >
56 > More information about upgrading can be found here:
57 >
58 > http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/wiki/HowToUpgrade05xTo06
59 >
60 > and an overview of the changes including instructions to update
61 > plugins here:
62 >
63 > http://seancribbs.com/tech/2007/04/18/whats-new-in-radiant-0-6/
64 --