From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 news item for review: Radiant upgrade
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 06:48:23
1 Hi,
2
3 I realize that we are in the middle of a huge discussion on GLEP 42 news
4 items, but I think I have a need for such a news item at the moment, and
5 getting more items to discuss may help move the discussion forward. I'm
6 appending the news item below.
7
8 That said, unfortunately GLEP 42 is not going to be useful for the
9 intended purpose... The reason for this is that it does not take into
10 account if the specific user can actually upgrade because it does not
11 take stable/testing into account. So a user on stable will see the
12 message once the new package hits the tree but can't upgrade yet, and
13 will probably have forgotten if the package moves to stable after one or
14 several months.
15
16 What I would like to happen is that the message is added to the tree
17 once, shown to users who have dev-ruby/radiant in testing immediately,
18 and only shown to other users of dev-ruby/radiant when they move radiant
19 to testing or radiant itself becomes stable for them. I don't see a
20 mechanism to avoid this with the current GLEP, but perhaps I overlooked
21 something? I guess this is what the Display-If-Upgrading-From-To: that
22 Ciaran mentioned would do, but I'm wondering if GLEP 42 makes any sense
23 without it.
24
25 Granted, for Radiant specifically this point is moot since there is only
26 a version in testing, but the general point remains.
27
28 Kind regards,
29
30 Hans
33 Title: Radiant upgrade from 0.5.2 to 0.6.*
34 Author: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
35 Content-Type: text/plain
36 Posted: 06-May-2007
37 Revision: 1
38 Display-If-Installed: =dev-ruby/radiant-0.5.2
39
40 Radiant 0.6.* is in many cases not a seamless update from 0.5.2, and
41 if you are currently running your site based on the gem then the
42 upgrade will break your site. Apart from a number of minor
43 configuration changes, the plugin system has been removed and changed
44 to a new extension system with slightly different semantics.
45
46 If you have any plugins installed in your Radiant installation you
47 will need to find replacement extensions first or rewrite the plugins
48 to use the extension system.
49
50 More information about upgrading can be found here:
51
52 http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/wiki/HowToUpgrade05xTo06
53
54 and an overview of the changes including instructions to update
55 plugins here:
56
57 http://seancribbs.com/tech/2007/04/18/whats-new-in-radiant-0-6/