From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage question
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 02:39:22
1 On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 09:22:06AM +0200, Henti Smith wrote: > On Tue, 01
2 Oct 2002 23:09:14 +0000 > Leon Chiver <leon@××××××.ro> wrote: > > > I've
3 installed gentoo and I must say that I'm very pleased whith it. > >
4 Marvelous job. > > But there's still one feature I'm missing and which
5 regards the update > > procedure: wouldn't it be nice if we could upgrade
6 from one version of a > > package to another by only downloading the diff?
7 A few days before I've > > installed mozilla-1.0, today I emerged 1.0.1.
8 But I had to download the > > entire 1.0.1 archive, instead of only a diff
9 file. For people with a > > limited internet access this would be a really
10 great feature. > > Does anyone know, is such an improvement planned? > > I
11 had a look on the bugzilla page and did a few searches .. didn't se
12 anything that pertains to this, but I have to admit .. > In the image of
13 gentoo this should have been in portage already. > > being able to update
14 packages just with patches would be really nice for us low bandwidth users
15 .. >
16
17 There was a thread about why the kernel stuff isn't done that way. It was
18 discussed that it is very hard to allow for people that sit at very
19 different kernel versions to be able to upgrade with one ebuild. Yes, one
20 can do all the checks to see what is needed to go from 2.4.x to 2.4.19 (or
21 even 2.2.x to 2.4.19) and just fetch the right diff, but that is much more
22 difficult than "get latest source, unpack into /usr/src and patch".
23
24 There is nothing stopping anyone from creating thes ebuild themselves and
25 posting them on the web say "diff2.4.16to2.4.19.ebuild" and giving people
26 the ability to use them , even if they don't get commited.
27
28 Back to Mozilla, mozilla is a less complicated beast. If someone has a
29 diff, then numberous ebuilds can be created to cover all the bases, or
30 build the logic into one ebuild. Maybe email the maintainer to ask "why
31 not" and if he says "because", then write one yourself ;)
34 Evan Read
35 http://eread.freeshell.org
36
37 "The future comes 60 minutes an hour no matter who you are or what you
38 do."
39 The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis