From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is removing old EAPIs worth the churn?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 00:12:38
1 On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 6:39 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> > On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 4:17 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
6 >>> > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
7 >>> >>
8 >>> >> Is it worth the effort? Yes, see below.
9 >>> >> Is it a high priority task? No.
10 >>> >>
11 >>> >
12 >>> > It sounds like all that has been done is to log a tracker and create
13 >>> > some bugs. That is hardly a major burden on anybody. If it nudges
14 >>> > people to bump the EAPI when they're doing other work so much the
15 >>> > better, but there doesn't seem to be a drop-dead date yet.
16 >>> >
17 >>> > If devs don't want to think about EAPI cleanup they don't have to right
18 >>> > now.
19 >>>
20 >>> No, not true. Look at the blocking bugs. We're asking arch teams to
21 >>> retest and restabilize ebuilds whose only difference is the EAPI bump.
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> Ultimate the arch teams are supposed to test the ebuild (that it works), so
25 >> when we change the EAPI of the ebuild re-testing is required.
26 >
27 > Of course, but that's not the point...
30 Strictly speaking nobody is forcing the arch teams to test any of
31 these bumps either. They are as free to choose to work on those bugs
32 as anybody else.
35 Rich