From: Cheng Renquan <crquan@×××××.com>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: oford <oford@×××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for help with kernel maintenance
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 04:59:54
1 Oh, Daniel, I've found that thread that I've subscribed,
2
3 On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o> wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I'm looking to find one or more people to help out with gentoo-sources-2.6
7 > maintenance (our primary supported kernel). Right now, me and Mike Pagano do
8 > most of the kernel work. I disappear fairly often and it's always good to
9 > have more than 1 active person on the project.
10 >
11 > I'm looking for someone with at least:
12 > - Interest in kernel stuff, or a desire to become interested
13 > - Time to put towards the tasks
14 > - Enthusiasm to ask lots of questions rather than let stuff
15 > sit around
16 > - Basic experience with bugzilla
17 > - Basic kernel experience (i.e. you can compile your own)
18 >
19 > Having knowledge of kernel internals or experience with kernel hacking are
20 > NOT requirements because if you have time, interest and ask a lot of
21 > questions then these will come anyway. A lot of the work doesn't involve
22 > technical stuff, plus I was certainly very clueless about all this when I
23 > originally got involved a few years ago.
24 >
25 > Being an existing Gentoo developer is not a requirement. Most of the work is
26 > done on bugzilla and via email. This may be a good opportunity to get
27 > involved with development and later become a Gentoo developer for those that
28 > are interested.
29 >
30 > It's an enjoyable task, you get to interact with a lot of very intelligent
31 > people upstream and you end up learning a lot.
32 >
33 > Email me (dsd@g.o) if you are interested!
34 >
35 > Thanks,
36 > Daniel
37
38 Hello, Daniel,
39
40 I've read this month's GMN and found your recruiting,
41 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_25999dd92d75e0863d99947df9ad29cf.xml
42
43 Now I am interested on the work,
44
45 Simply introducing myself:
46 1. I have written several patches for vanilla kernel since 2.6.21,
47 mostly very simple,
48 http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=search;st=author;s=crquan@×××××.com
49
50 2. I have experience writing gentoo ebuilds and have Bugzilla account
51 on bugs.gentoo.org, have contributed several ebuilds into sunrise
52 overlay, mostly also very simple;
53
54 So please me tell what's up? Why not have a starting guide page for the
55 guys like me? Or you have one already?
56
57 Cheers,
60 Cheng Renquan, Shenzhen, China
61 Bertrand Russell - "I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."