From: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:10:30
1 On Monday 27 September 2004 04:05 pm, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
2
3 > No, it's Gentoo's way of getting an IP via dhcp.
4
5 Ah, what about the other options? I may not want to use dhcpcd.
6
7 > Gentoo's default /etc/init.d/net.<device> scripts offer DHCP support.
8 > One DHCP capable client, and support for it, has to be in the system
9 > profile, then, imho. I thought this was dhcpcd. If the default
10 > system scripts support a feature, all necessary software for that
11 > feature should be in a system profile. This is basically the whole
12 > idea of RDEPEND in general, no? ;-)
13
14 The key word is option.. Which translates to me, optional.. Putting it in the
15 system profile means I am stuck with it.. Thats the point..
16
17 > __armando
18 > P.S. I would love to see a move dynamic network configuration
19 > interface/scripts in Gentoo ... especially in regards to mobile
20 > computers/"profile" switching; granted these tools exist in portage,
21 > but they don't exactly integrate well "out of the box". Actually,
22 > that's kind of my point, I guess: removing dhcpcd sort of ruins the
23 > "out of the box"-ness of a new Gentoo install. Imagine how annoying
24 > it would be if you booted the install disc, got a dhcp address, and
25 > then _didn't_ have dhcpcd when you started your new system for the
26 > first time.
27
28 Well, thats called docs.. You tell the person to install what they need for
29 networking in the install docs.. Its that simple..
30
31 And I don't want to hear, blah blah, they dont follow the docs.. Thats their
32 problem.. They cant read the docs, thats their risk.. Hell, how many times I
33 see in gentoo-user which says:
34
35 Cant boot system.. Error /dev/ROOT.. (shortening it obviously)
36
37 clearly, not reading a damn thing..
38
39 Jeff