From: Armando Di Cianno <fafhrd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:21:34
1 On 2004-09-27 17:10:06 -0400 Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 >> No, it's Gentoo's way of getting an IP via dhcp.
3 >
4 > Ah, what about the other options? I may not want to use dhcpcd.
5 Yes, I agree. dhcpcd offers the least nice functionality of the
6 available dhcp client.
7
8 However the functioning of base system scripts depend on it. I do not
9 know if they did or not, but did the person who removed dhcpcd from
10 the system profile also edit the /etc/init.d/net.eth0 (the default
11 one) script to politely bomb out and explain to the user that they
12 need to install dhcpcd if "dhcp" is set for that interface in
13 /etc/conf.d/net?
14
15 > The key word is option.. Which translates to me, optional.. Putting
16 > it in the
17 > system profile means I am stuck with it.. Thats the point..
18
19 Yes, by that standard, networking at all is optional. 'emerge --sync'
20 depends on an active network connection, but choosing to 'emerge
21 --sync' is optional, after the first time, too, no? So we should take
22 out _all_ network scripts then, yes? And heck, they are soooooo
23 ethernet biased. Ethernet is an option as well, .....
24
25 .... I think you get the point.
26
27 All in all, the major system profiles (i.e. the ones user's use every
28 day) should have support for reasonable base services. If a specific
29 user wants to roll out an install/cd/whatever, they should know enough
30 to create there own profile, use of a dhcp client being the first
31 thing they can take out.
32
33 __Armando
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list