From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Creating a USE_EXPAND for ssl providers
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 03:22:03
1 Sorry for the possible HTML email, this is from my phone..
4 > On May 29, 2014, at 10:20 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 > Anthony G. Basile posted on Thu, 29 May 2014 13:42:01 -0400 as excerpted:
7 >
8 >> With the number of ssl providers growing, like libressl, and with issues
9 >> like bug #510974, I think its time we consider making this a uniform way
10 >> of dealing with ssl providers in gentoo. We would proceed something
11 >> like this:
12 >>
13 >> 1. Introduce a new USE_EXPAND called SSL which mirrors CURL_SSL ---
14 >> becuase CURL_SSL is too provincial a name.
15 >>
16 >> 2. migrate curl and all its dependencies to the SSL use expand.
17 >>
18 >> 3. Migrate over all consumers of ssl to the new SSL use expand system.
19 >>
20 >> What do people think?
21 >
22 > What about an ssl.eclass to handle it?
23 >
24 > Obviously Peter's concern about packages that only support some of the
25 > options would need to be taken into account, with some sort of variable,
26 > say SSL_SUPPORTED, that would be set before eclass inheritance. Then the
27 > eclass could formalize the general dependency logic and expose variables
28 > of its own that could in turn be used to set package specific options.
29 >
30 > Or is package handling too individualized for an eclass to work well,
31 > even with a mechanism to tell the eclass which ssl providers were
32 > supported and further mechanisms to allow package specific logic where
33 > required?
34
35 USE_EXPAND generally works or is meant to work when all participating ebuilds are ok with working from the exact same set of flags. The only case I can think of otherwise right now is PYTHON_TARGETS, and even then it is generally considered that all packages can support at least a small subset of the flags. Even then, we have a second var (PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET) for special case packages.
36
37 If that is the case here, we should be ok with a similar concept as that brought by python-r1.eclass. However I fear that packages are still going to need to have fallback logic or preference-based flag ordering if we are going to avoid the need for a bunch of package.use entries on end user systems.
38
39 Or is the plan to essentially do that anyways, ie, expect the SSL use_expand to only set one global default, and any deviations from that would be taken care of via package.use entries?
40
41 I don't suppose PMS allows the order of the list of flags in a var to be relied upon? That could make this easier:
42
43 SSL="polarssl openssl"
44
45 ... would use polarssl first and foremost but use OpenSSL iff polarssl isn't supported by the package (assuming OpenSSL is); the eclass would handle the preference logic that would make the secondary flags be ignored in favour of the primary one.
46
47 Thoughts?
51 > --
52 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
53 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
54 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman