From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Creating a USE_EXPAND for ssl providers
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 06:45:07
1 Ian Stakenvicius posted on Thu, 29 May 2014 23:21:47 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > USE_EXPAND generally works or is meant to work when all participating
4 > ebuilds are ok with working from the exact same set of flags. The only
5 > case I can think of otherwise right now is PYTHON_TARGETS, and even then
6 > it is generally considered that all packages can support at least a
7 > small subset of the flags. Even then, we have a second var
8 > (PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET) for special case packages.
9 >
10 > If that is the case here, we should be ok with a similar concept as that
11 > brought by python-r1.eclass. However I fear that packages are still
12 > going to need to have fallback logic or preference-based flag ordering
13 > if we are going to avoid the need for a bunch of package.use entries on
14 > end user systems.
15 >
16 > Or is the plan to essentially do that anyways, ie, expect the SSL
17 > use_expand to only set one global default, and any deviations from that
18 > would be taken care of via package.use entries?
19
20 That's essentially what I've ended up having to do with python. I have
21 PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_3 python2_7" and PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET=python3_3 ,
22 with a bunch of package.env file settings pointing at a single
23 python.starget.27 file, that sets PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET=python2_7 , for
24 those packages that don't support python3 yet.
25
26 And for ssl, I already have package.use files that toggle USE flags
27 appropriately for individual packages. Similarly for gles and opengl,
28 since I have them both on by default, but sometimes they interfere with
29 each other so I have to turn one off.
30
31 So I expect that some amount of package.use or package.env settings will
32 have to be maintained for certain packages that don't fit the normal
33 order of things, no matter what.
34
35 But with an SSL USE_EXPAND and in particular, if an eclass is setup to
36 coordinate and centralize handling, I expect that at minimum, the number
37 of exceptions I have to deal with as a user won't go up, and likely,
38 they'll go down, since handling will be centralized and hopefully mostly
39 standardized.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman