From: mbutcher <mbutcher@××××××××××.tv>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] documentation-problem
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:36:54
1 Comments inline.
2
3 On Thursday 13 June 2002 02:15 am, Stephan Wentz wrote:
4 > hi folks!
5 >
6 > yesterday is started installing gentoo on my laptop from scratch -
7 > everything worked fine, and the documentation is EXCELLENT! great job ;-)
8 > he found all modules, all pcmcia-network-cards (normal ethernet and a
9 > wlan-card).
10 > but i found 2 things that didn't work out with my installation:
11 >
12 > 1) 14.Final steps: kernel and system logger
13 >
14 > after i succeded with the installation and booted the first time, i got
15 > this error-msg:
16 >
17 > "mount_devfs_fs(): unable to mount devfs, err: -2
18 >
19 > looked through the forums and found the solution:
20 > in the kernel-config i checked "/dev filesystem support", but i ALSO
21 > checked "Mount on boot", after i unchecked it, the mount_devfs_fs-error
22 > disappeared. maybe you should put this in the red warning-section?
23
24 That's interesting... I built one yesterday, and checked "Mount on boot" and
25 it worked fine. I was building 2.4.19-gentoo-r7. I wonder what the deal is...
26 it sounds logical to check that item, doesn't it?
29 > 2) Final network configuration
30 >
31 > where it says
32 > "If you have a PCMCIA card installed, have a quick look into
33 > /etc/init.d/pcmcia to verify that things seem all right for your setup"
34 >
35 > the problem is: there is no file /etc/init.d/pcmcia!
36 > did i miss something? i followed the instructions step-by-step, don't think
37 > i forgot something... or do i have to create that file by myself?
40 True. There _used_ to be a pcmcia file there... but I think that was pre-1.0.
41 Perhaps that section should be tagged as only applying to older releases.
42
43 > 3) Final steps: configure GRUB
44 >
45 > in code listing 40 the line splashimage points to
46 > (hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
47 >
48 > and above you state that in your example hda1 is the boot-partition.
49 > shouldn't it mean (hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz then? without /boot ?
50 > and what about the kernel-line? there's the same thing... or does it mount
51 > /dev/hda3 (like state with the root-parameter in the kernel-line) as the
52 > root-device? then it would be ok...
53
54 Note the symbolic link in /boot:
55 # cd /boot
56 # ls -l boot
57 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 Dec 30 21:57 boot -> ./
62 > now, while booting i get this error:
63 > "Warning: unable to open an initial console.
64 > Kernel panic: No init found. Tyr passing init= option in kernel."
65 >
66 > i think this is because of a wrong grub-configuration... maybe you can help
67 > me out? i have my root partition on hda4, and the boot-partition on hda3...
68 > how would grubs menu.lst look like? is the following right, if not, where
69 > is the error? (note: i'm using the nt-bootloader right now, because of that
70 > i installed grub into the boot-partition, not in the mbr...)
71
72 Yes -- the problem is in your menu.lst.
73
74 You said the BOOT partition was on /dev/hda3 and the ROOT partition was on
75 /dev/hda4, right? Well, init (and /etc and all those other necessary boot
76 files) is on /dev/hda4. I corrected it in your example below:
79 > default 0
80 > timeout 30
81 > splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
82 >
83 > title=My example Gentoo Linux
84 > root (hd0,2)
85 # NOTE: /dev/hda4, not hda3
86 > kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda4
87 >
88 > maybe you can help me out... i'm very interested in gentoo - so i'd like to
89 > start it ;-)
90 >
91 > another question according to grub: like i said, i installed it into my
92 > boot-partiton, what if i want to remove it from there and put it in the
93 > mbr? just install it in the mbr? how to remove the version from the
94 > partition? or is this done automatically?
95
96 AFAIK, when you install grub, it puts its bootloader into the MBR. If you
97 managed to get it to do something else, you know more about grub than I. ;-)
100 > so, enough for now... hope my remarks can help you make gentoo even better
101 > ;-)
102 >
103 > stephan
105 > gentoo-dev mailing list