From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: foser <foser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Using stow inside portage
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:45:02
1 On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 20:22, foser wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 10:50 -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
3 > > > Isn't that the purpose of SLOTs?
4 > >
5 > > Yes, and that's how some of the gcc's are done. Unfortunately, slots seem
6 > > to require developer resources to make work, and therefore aren't done
7 > > on a consistent basis. I.e. not all of the gcc's are slot-enabled, let
8 > > alone KDE or Gnome or mozilla, etc.
9 >
10 > Well, that's not really the purpose, SLOTs were meant to install
11 > packages that are _upstream_ parallel installable. Afaik SLOTting in
12 > Gentoo is consistent with most upstream releases.
15 Yes, but I will define it more as a way to support new releases
16 that breaks binary compatibility. This definition should envelope
17 kde, gnome, gcc, etc ... Note that for things like kde and gcc for
18 instance (gnome does it properly - or more so) it is not 100%
19 supported upstream.
23 Martin Schlemmer
24 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
25 Cape Town, South Africa