From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Using stow inside portage
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:21:30
1 On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 10:50 -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
2 > > Isn't that the purpose of SLOTs?
3 >
4 > Yes, and that's how some of the gcc's are done. Unfortunately, slots seem
5 > to require developer resources to make work, and therefore aren't done
6 > on a consistent basis. I.e. not all of the gcc's are slot-enabled, let
7 > alone KDE or Gnome or mozilla, etc.
8
9 Well, that's not really the purpose, SLOTs were meant to install
10 packages that are _upstream_ parallel installable. Afaik SLOTting in
11 Gentoo is consistent with most upstream releases.
12
13 You can redefine SLOT to do stow like stuff (afaik KDE in Gentoo does
14 this with different qt minor versions (?) & gcc), but I'm actually not a
15 big fan of that sort of constructions that do not comply with upstream
16 intent for no-good reasons : it's just great to have every mozilla
17 release on your system at the same time, but it serves no purpose (to
18 get back to your example). Adding global support for this will probably
19 lead to weird problems concerning libversion mismatching etc. .
20
21 - foser