From: Chris Frey <cdfrey@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Using stow inside portage
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:32:45
1 On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 08:22:36PM +0200, foser wrote:
2 > You can redefine SLOT to do stow like stuff (afaik KDE in Gentoo does
3 > this with different qt minor versions (?) & gcc), but I'm actually not a
4 > big fan of that sort of constructions that do not comply with upstream
5 > intent for no-good reasons : it's just great to have every mozilla
6 > release on your system at the same time, but it serves no purpose (to
7 > get back to your example). Adding global support for this will probably
8 > lead to weird problems concerning libversion mismatching etc. .
9
10 It does serve a purpose. It allows for painless testing of bleeding edge
11 software without completely giving up your current setup.
12
13 Library versions already have a versioning system and can coexist, so I
14 didn't envision stow being used much for pure libraries. Stuff like
15 running XFree86 and xorg would be nice, though.
16
17 - Chris
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list