From: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: dmertens@×××.nl
Cc: Kevyn Shortell <kevyn@×××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:02:02
1 "Dave Mertens" <dmertens@×××.nl> writes:
2
3 > What has SPAM todo with security?!
4
5 Eh, isn't it part of the definition of SPAM, that it does not have any
6 context?
7
8 > We're testing currently the gentoo distro if it can be used in a
9 > production environment. Within that test is also included the
10 > quality of the mailinglists of the maintainer of the distro, in this
11 > case Gentoo.
12
13 I have my doubts about mailinglists being a good way to judge the
14 quality of a project.
15
16 > They reflect on each other. Gentoo has setup a mailinglist where
17 > it's possible to send SPAM to, this only because the list is not
18 > moderated.
19
20 So, in your opinion all lists should be moderated? Spam is annoying,
21 of course, but making all lists moderated is not a solution in my
22 opinion, because it makes communication also more complicated in a
23 way. Look at (open) mailinglists as some kind of technical mechanism.
24 Not more. It is the then users job to read what he wants to read and
25 to skip what he wants to skip. He can install filters on his
26 computer, if he wants to.
27
28 > Mailinglist are easy stuff. And because the security of the
29 > mailinglist is not that good, so why should the distro than even
30 > have better security policy?
31
32 "The security of the mailinglist is not good" does not make much
33 sense; I cannot see any security leak, because the list worked as
34 expected. Or can you see a security leak?
35
36 > The gentoo maintainers have to decide whether a post is qualified to
37 > be posted to a list.
38
39 I disagree.
40
41 > And what if i announce on the security list that Gentoo has a
42 > enormous security bug in it's portage system, while it's not true.
43
44 There should be way to proove wether such a posting is a fake or not -
45 for instance via signatures.
46
47 moritz
48 --
49 moritz@×××××××××××××××.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
50 GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06 B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199