From: Dave Mertens <dmertens@×××.nl>
To: Kevyn Shortell <kevyn@×××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 04:12:36
1 > The list is to discuss functions relating to security itself,
2 > how do you improve your system those kind
3 > of things. warnings relating to security. anyone can post
4 > questions to a list.
5 What has SPAM todo with security?!
6
7 > Your gentoo system, is as secure as you the builder of that box,
8 > set it up to be. If you emerge 'unsecure'
9 > things, then you'll have an less than secure box.
10 We're testing currently the gentoo distro if it can be used in a production environment. Within that test is also included the quality of the mailinglists of the maintainer of the distro, in this case Gentoo.
13 > So how does a public mailing list for discussing security issues
14 > or announcements, have any bearing on the actual security of a product?
15 They reflect on each other. Gentoo has setup a mailinglist where it's possible to send SPAM to, this only because the list is not moderated.
16 Mailinglist are easy stuff. And because the security of the mailinglist is not that good, so why should the distro than even have better security policy?
17
18 The gentoo maintainers have to decide whether a post is qualified to be posted to a list. And what if i announce on the security list that Gentoo has a enormous security bug in it's portage system, while it's not true.
19
20 We're subscribed on two mailinglists gentoo-security and gentoo-annouce. Almost every announcement we get three times! One send by the gentoo-security list, the other by the gentoo-annouce list and than we receive a annoucement over both lists..
21
22 Further, Announcement of new or upgraded packages shouldn't be on the security list, they belong on the accounce list. Announcements that contains bugs or bug-fixes they belong on the security list.
23 For example, what has the release of Gentoo 1.4rc1 todo with security?? That's clearly a announcement.
26 With best regards,
27
28 Dave Mertens - Unix Systems Manager
29