From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:33:08
1 On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:50:34PM -0800, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-02-16, 22:17:43 -0500, in
3 > <1076987863.15233.27.camel@localhost>, Donnie Berkholz
4 > <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
5 > > We won't be adding versions of XFree86 with the 1.1 license [1] to the
6 > > tree, so don't be surprised when 4.3.99.903 doesn't show up with the new
7 > > license.
8 > >
9 > > I won't elaborate on the reasons because it's been discussed quite
10 > > thoroughly in other forums [2-8].
11 > >
12 > > We are seeking solutions/alternatives for this issue, so you can sit
13 > > back, relax and let us do the dirty work.
14 >
15 > This idea is bound to get a few extreme reactions. Those who insist on
16 > reacting extremely may email me privately.
17 >
18 > Also, I am thinking abstractly at the moment. This is unlikely
19 > to present an immediate solution, but will certainly provide some
20 > thought-fodder. When you play chess, do you try to see the board from
21 > different angles?
22 >
23 > The problem is that the XFree license and the GPL are now
24 > incompatible. For smooth progression of overall Linux development, one
25 > of these licenses must now change. This does not necessarily imply that
26 > the one which changed most recently needs to change back. So much focus
27 > has been applied to the "offending" portion of the new XFree license;
28 > perhaps we should lend the same critical eye to our beloved GPL. One
29 > possible analogy for the situation is that the XFree license demonstrated
30 > a bug in the GPL.
33 I think it's perfectly reasonable for a license to insist on people not
34 placing further restrictions on the code. This is what prevents people
35 from making free software nonfree. The BSD license approach is not at
36 all intended to keep free software free; it's intended to let people
37 create proprietary software using free software code. What you're
38 actually suggesting is reforming the way the entire free software
39 community feels about freedom and licensing. Have you really thought
40 this through?
41
42 Basically you're stating that it should be acceptable to place
43 proprietary restrictions on what was at one point free software. If
44 people wanted their code to be treated that way, they wouldn't license
45 it under the GPL. Nobody's forcing anybody to put their code under one
46 license or another. I would not use a license that allows additional
47 restrictions for most of what I do; I only license relatively trivial
48 things under BSD-style licenses.
51 > Attribution is a fairly reasonable request for Open Source / Free
52 > Software licensing. The authors just want a little recognition for their
53 > efforts. Prohibited attribution requirements is also a Bad Thing(tm).
56 It's not about attribution requirements; it's about any additional
57 restriction whatsoever.
58
59 > One solution to the issue would be inclusion in the GPL of one or
60 > more optional clauses. Much in the same way that "front cover" and
61 > "back cover" texts may be included in a GPLed package, one could use a
62 > "GPL+attribution" license. Such a license would be compatible with the
63 > new XFree license.
66 Sure, if one wanted to. Apparently they do not. The people who picked
67 the GPL for their code presumably picked it because they didn't want to
68 use a different license. That seems straightforward enough.
69
70 Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying people _shouldn't_ use a license like
71 the BSD-style licenses that permit all kinds of additional restrictions,
72 if that's the license they want to use. But we're talking here about
73 existing packages whose authors specifically picked the GPL who
74 presumably do not want their license violated.
77 Jon Portnoy
78 avenj/irc.freenode.net
81 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list