From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] i18n project
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:14:01
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > <genone> and my point is that users often don't even realize that
3 > their post contains non-english text
4
5 Make Portage add a line with "Some of the previous errors were reported
6 in non-English language. If you want to get support from official
7 channel, please run `LC_ALL=C command`." when it detects a non-English
8 locale.
9
10 > Basically I don't think the benefit is rather dubious or maybe it's
11 > just that I had some rather bad experiences with translated versions of
12 > FOSS applications, but I'm quite opposed to this part of the project
13 > unless you have a way to remove my concerns.
14
15 Sure, translating GCC output is *not* good, but why don't provide
16 localized version of Portage messages like, for example, those when
17 Portage complains about unsatisfied dependency?
18
19 Cheers,
20 -jkt
23 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth