From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default logger
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:00:24
1 On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:57:26AM -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > > Agreed. It should be syslog-ng. If nobody objects, I'll change it in
3 > > base/virtuals.
4 >
5 > Objecting, obviously ;)
6 [...]
7 > I'd rather see reasons listed as to why syslog-ng is a superior
8 > default for users who (most likely) don't care, then "we lack
9 > /var/log/messages" :)
10
11 We've had metalog as the example log daemon in the Gentoo Handbook in the
12 past. Every time it was added, we got a nice bug about why metalog was a bad
13 default and syslog-ng should be used.
14
15 I'm not on the I'net right now, but if you annotate the
16 [gentoo]/xml/htdocs/doc/en/handbook/hb-install-tools.xml file you'll see a
17 bunch of reasons over the past few changes.
18
19 Afaik, most architectures prefer syslog-ng.
20
21 Wkr,
22 Sven Vermeulen
25 Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org