From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects without a homepage, and valid contents of HOMEPAGE (per bug 239268)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 02:52:51
1 On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> said:
3 >> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 03:44:20 -0700
4 >>
5 >> "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
6 >> > Either we need special cases to declare that it no longer has a
7 >> > homepage, or we need to allow the empty HOMEPAGE.
8 >>
9 >> HOMEPAGE="( )"
10 >
11 > HOMEPAGE="http://this-package-has-no-homepage.gentoo.org/"
14 That would impose needless lookups on subdomains of gentoo.org for
15 clients trying to load the homepage.
16
17 HOMEPAGE="UNKNOWN" seems to work fine and keeps logic fairly simple:
18
19 if HOMEPAGE != "UNKNOWN"
20 do_something_with_HOMEPAGE
21 ...
22
23 The metadata API could even wrap this functionality such that packages
24 with no homepages could return nothing (not even UNKNOWN) or throw
25 some kind of error.
26
27 The only reason I would prefer UNKNOWN to Ciaran's suggestion is that
28 HOMEPAGE="( )" is not obvious to the majority of people (it basically
29 looks like a developer mis-pasted or had some other accident).
30
31 -Alec