From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Projects without a homepage, and valid contents of HOMEPAGE (per bug 239268)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 06:03:12
1 "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> posted
2 b41005390810051952i93eafb0r5a0ca7e31a34574c@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 05 Oct 2008 19:52:48 -0700:
4
5 > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >>
8 >> HOMEPAGE="http://this-package-has-no-homepage.gentoo.org/"
9 >>
10 > That would impose needless lookups on subdomains of gentoo.org for
11 > clients trying to load the homepage.
12
13 I like Thilo's suggestion -- modified a bit and with the caveat that such
14 a page is actually created, with some generic details explaining that no
15 other homepage could be found and how Gentoo handles such cases (a link
16 to the DMCA/copyright notification page may be helpful as a CYA, this
17 being written assuming Gentoo has one, I've not checked but if we don't
18 it could save a LOT of trouble if someone makes a mistake...), and
19 encouraging anyone who comes across a homepage for such a package to bug
20 it.
21
22 The modification bit would be to make it a new page on an existing
23 subdomain. Something like this: http://www.gentoo.org/no-homepage.xml
24
25 It could be made per-project or the like, too, but that makes it more
26 difficult to auto-detect, for anyone/anything that desires to.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman