From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] R/O CVS access and its purpose for ATs (was Email subdomain)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:49:10
1 On 23/11/05, Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o> wrote:
2 > Daniel Ostrow wrote:
3 >
4 > > Lance:
5 > >
6 > > I know this is a far cry from what you are proposing, and I understand
7 > > that the present CVS server cannot handle this sort of load but I
8 > > believe that this was the original intention at least...someone correct
9 > > me if I am wrong.
10 >
11 > One of the issues we had with direct cvs access is managing all of the
12 > AT accounts. If we're talking 50-100 ATs, that increases our user
13 > account management load by a lot considering we only have 300 developers
14 > right now. The other reason is of course with load on lark itself. We
15 > can only do so many concurrent cvs up's of the full tree and adding this
16 > many users concerns me alot with that aspect.
17 >
18 > As what kurt said in a followup to this email, If we can nail down that
19 > the primary need of the GLEP is quick access to changes, that will help
20 > us a lot in figuring out the logistics of the issue.
21 >
22 > I know pylon had talked about the newer cvs allowing for a virtually
23 > 'live' update to another cvs box via a commit hook, but he's been rather
24 > busy lately and hasn't had a chance to work on that. I think that has
25 > the best hope down the road of resolving this GLEP. I would just like to
26 > keep the management of lark to the minimum if at all possible, so for
27 > now I would prefer a restricted rsync module or cvs box that gets
28 > updated every X minutes.
29 >
30 > Cheers-
31 >
32 > --
33 > Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
34 > Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
35 >
36 > ---
37 > GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
38 > Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
39 >
40 > ramereth/irc.freenode.net
43 What about finding out how many ATs are going to be using it at the
44 start and limiting the amount of ATs with access to <40-50 until
45 either a new way for access has been decided on or new equipment has
46 been brought it. Currently I wouldn't need it because I am without
47 amd64 equipment until after equipment.
48
49 George
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list