From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] R/O CVS access and its purpose for ATs (was Email subdomain)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:37:42
1 Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2
3 > Lance:
4 >
5 > I know this is a far cry from what you are proposing, and I understand
6 > that the present CVS server cannot handle this sort of load but I
7 > believe that this was the original intention at least...someone correct
8 > me if I am wrong.
9
10 One of the issues we had with direct cvs access is managing all of the
11 AT accounts. If we're talking 50-100 ATs, that increases our user
12 account management load by a lot considering we only have 300 developers
13 right now. The other reason is of course with load on lark itself. We
14 can only do so many concurrent cvs up's of the full tree and adding this
15 many users concerns me alot with that aspect.
16
17 As what kurt said in a followup to this email, If we can nail down that
18 the primary need of the GLEP is quick access to changes, that will help
19 us a lot in figuring out the logistics of the issue.
20
21 I know pylon had talked about the newer cvs allowing for a virtually
22 'live' update to another cvs box via a commit hook, but he's been rather
23 busy lately and hasn't had a chance to work on that. I think that has
24 the best hope down the road of resolving this GLEP. I would just like to
25 keep the management of lark to the minimum if at all possible, so for
26 now I would prefer a restricted rsync module or cvs box that gets
27 updated every X minutes.
28
29 Cheers-
32 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
33 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
34
35 ---
36 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
37 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
38
39 ramereth/irc.freenode.net