From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] R/O CVS access and its purpose for ATs (was Email subdomain)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:50:05
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 17:56 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:32:55 +1100
4 > > Ben Skeggs <darktama@×××××××××.au> wrote:
7 > >>Anyway, the most important reason for the GLEP (IMO) is giving AT's
8 > >>r/o access to CVS. When working on bugs, it's always fun to find out
9 > >>that the problem has already been resolved and just hasn't made it to
10 > >>your local rsync mirror yet..
13 > > Out of curiosity, what's the more important aspect of r/o cvs:
14 > > - more up to date
15 >
16 > Not necessarily true. We would not have the anon cvs access from our
17 > primary cvs server. It would be synced on a regular basis to a separate
18 > box. The newer cvs (which isn't on lark yet) may give us capabilities to
19 > have a more 'live' cvs anon system. But as of now, the best infra can
20 > provide is 30 minute updates. I don't want to poll the cvs more than
21 > that to keep down the load.
22 >
23 > > - easier selective updates
24 >
25 > Yup, that's definitely a plus.
28 And herein I think lies some confusion. Personally if I were an AT both
29 would be important but more to the point the "more up to date" issue
30 would be the most important. I think that there is a need for the ATs to
31 be able to work in direct conjunction with a dev, an AT catches an
32 error, a dev fixes it in CVS using a *well tested* patch, an AT does a
33 `cvs up` and retests to try and catch *other* errors all within a matter
34 of *single digit* minutes. This is a very powerful tool, rather then
35 what they have to do now which is either wait for it to hit the rsync
36 mirrors, a dedicated rsync mirror, a dedicated anoncvs box, or e-mail
37 the ebuilds (and patches) back and forth. Note the two highly stressed
38 things up there...this should not be used so ATs can vet patches (wither
39 to ebuilds or to source), the patches should be well tested long before
40 they reach our tree...
41
42 Lance:
43
44 I know this is a far cry from what you are proposing, and I understand
45 that the present CVS server cannot handle this sort of load but I
46 believe that this was the original intention at least...someone correct
47 me if I am wrong.
48
49 I think that this issue has to be nailed down *before* we get any
50 further in discussion.
53 Daniel Ostrow
54 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
55 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}